Friday, November 23, 2007 @Friday, November 23, 2007
I never really noticed how much my parents have always supported me in whatever I chose to do. Of course their advice to me would always be to keep my music as a side project thing because it has always been a way for me to vent and I am good with my composing. I think in 2005 I wrote something about my parents not supporting me with my dreams. But its only now that I see that they do support my dreams, its just that they want me to have a safety net in which I can fall into. To have that safety net, it means that I've got a whole lot of studying to do in the future before I can settle into my music stuff.
Music has always been my sweet reprive. Its a place where I retreat to when the world hasn't been very nice to me. It happens a lot. I tend to just leave the world behind me and be completely enthralled in my own world of music. Where my thoughts are clear, my heart springs a melody my mind agrees with. It just makes it seem like everything is right with the world again. And I think music means that much more to be because I write my own and don't feel the need to copy from other artiste. Insparation is all around and I feel that life experiences is all the insparation that we need to write meaningful songs will great melodies. Every song has its emotion. A song is personified when musicians and singers alike feel that same emotion and are able to invoke it into the song and into the people listening. Having emotion in a song and singing and playing the piano with emotion is something that my Dad thought me. He was the first person to teach me how to sing.
I watched and listened to my father in awe as a child about 11 years ago when I first started singing. He had this amazing voice and he was a master manipulator of his voice. Its something I've always envied because I can't control my voice that much just yet. But what pushed me and spured me on to continue singing, was the fact that I was the only girl in my family who could sing. So with the piano training in aural tests and the listening skills to sing a melody, I started joining choirs and music ministries in church. It was there that my talent and ability grew as a musician and a singer. I met great musicians like the original band for YMM. It was there that I realised that I'm better that I thought I was. Words of encouragement from everyone made me want to improve even more. I felt obligated to do so. And I did. From the time I first started singing, until now, I've improved more than what I've acknowladged. At least thats what my friends say. I love music. Its in my blood. Its who I am. Its what made me the person I am today. Without music, I'd most probably die. And I'm not exagerating. I would have killed myself a long time ago if I didn't have an outlet to vent. Music is that outlet.
As for the safety net, my parents know that I've got my dreams in sight. But they also believe in my good judgement when it comes to work and business. I gave them my word that I'd do well and continue my studies. And I will. For the sake of my future, I will. Like Mummy always say, "Work hard. Earn your millions. Don't rely on a man for your money. Don't let them control your life. Keep God in your life and all things will turn out fine!" And I believe in my Mum. Like they always say, 'Mum knows best' and its true because my Mum always knows what to say to me to make me stronger and to make me want to be better. I've been blessed. And I'm ever thankful and greatful for everything that God has placed in my path. For all the trials and tribulations that have come my way to shape me as the person I am today. The growing is not done, it never is. But as life continues, we should be more humbled as we take up leadership roles and become seniors and such.